Pages

Subscribe:

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Texting Machines

We all know that texting has enveloped our modern society and completely altered the way we communicate.  My concern is that it is crippling the ability of our world's youth to communicate normally.  Communication is a key to a functioning society, and without it, we will fail.  Texting as a form of communication upholds a sense of instant gratification and immediate response.  My OpEd will be directed towards youth and anyone in direct contact or influence of youth.  Hopefully, I will be able to portray the importance of communication skills and self-awareness in means of texting and cell phone usage.
http://failblog.org/2010/10/15/epic-fail-photos-probably-bad-news-texting-fail/

5 comments:

  1. Great topic, and something that's definitely a big deal right now. Think about specific examples you could use to make your point, as well as potential counterarguments that others might put against your issue. Great job so far!

    -cbh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guilty as charged, I'm a text kind of gal without a doubt. I just think about text messaging and I remember all the previous things people have said about text messaging and how it diminishes people's vocabulary and grammar skills. Keep that in mind as a pretty good counterargument against text messaging being a good thing.

    -mmg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree totally! I think you could make a really strong argument here. A counter argument could be something like quick availabilty, but some things in life are really worth taking the time to grow. Like relationships!

    Good Luck
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, I busted out laughing when I read that article. It's so true, people text all the time! I do it too...yes, guilty. I think your topic is very interesting...good luck! It sounds awesome so far! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helpful arguments could be its effects on students attention spans and education in general! Good luck, Sounds like you're passionate about it!

    -ER

    ReplyDelete