Pages

Subscribe:

Monday, October 10, 2011

The Profession


Group 5 did a good job presenting about the Priesthood of journalists.  I learned new things that I had never before heard of, like the “hegemony” theory (http://www.cla.purdue.edu/english/theory/marxism/terms/hegemony.html) and the “news work” theory.  I did not agree, however with their statement that journalism should be completely unemotional.  The real world is full of emotion; it would be unrealistic to take it out. It is the best stories that bring out emotion in people.
I liked the debate that we had in class about confidentiality of sources.  I can definitely see both sides of the issue, but I think that anonymous sources should not be used in a newspaper.  The word “anonymous” leaves too many doors open to questioning the truth and validity of the facts.  This questioning can only be a downward spiral of distrust towards the journalists.  Sometimes it is better to just make a clear-cut decision to avoid sticky situations. 

One thing that really surprised me is that journalists are supposed to write to the level of a 9th to 10th grade reading level.  This surprised me because it seems like they write above that level, or maybe it’s just that the information in newspaper would be way over a sophomores’ head.  Below is a link to the reading standards for grades 9 and 10, just for clarification http://www.nusd.k12.ca.us/Nusd/english-ninth.html

No comments:

Post a Comment